Articles by Casey Piket

MacArthur Causeway in 1959

History of the MacArthur Causeway

By the mid-1910s, some of the leaders of Miami and Miami Beach knew that the time would come when the region would outgrow the Collins Bridge, which was the only viaduct to join the two cities over Biscayne Bay. It…


The Miami Club in 1911

Short History of The Miami Club

In the first decade of the last century, many of Miami’s downtown business leaders felt the need to establish an organization to promote the virtues of living and doing business in Miami. Although less than fifteen years old in 1909,…


Anchor Chain Fence in 1930s

Anchor Chain Fence on Brickell Avenue

One of the Southside neighborhood’s most popular tourist attractions was an anchor chain fence along Brickell Avenue and SE Fourteenth Street. This fence caught the attention of sightseers and tourists during its time enveloping the Brickell Avenue corner from 1917…


Senator Hotel in 1940s

Senator Hotel on Miami Beach

Lawrence Murray Dixon was one of the most prolific architects during the Art Deco period on Miami Beach in the 1930s. He and Henry Hohauser were considered the principal architects for the Deco style during this era. Some of the…


South Winds Motor Hotel on March 29, 1951

South Winds Hotel on Brickell

The years following the end of World War II brought a lot of change to the Brickell neighborhood. One of the trends that began in the mid-1940s, and continued into the 1950s, was the construction of motor lodge style hotels…