December 5th, 2015
The spring 2016 semester at Miami Dade College will mark the end of an era. The South Florida History Class will be taught by Dr. Paul George for the last time. George will be retiring at the end of the spring semester.
Dr. Paul George has long provided a combination of classroom and tours to convey Miami’s story. One can learn a lot about Miami and its nearly 10,000 year old history. Many people do not realize that the area supported natives long before it became incorporated as the City of Miami.
If you choose to take the last offering of this class, you will learn:
- The Tequestas
- The Seminole Wars
- Coconut Grove
- The Homesteading Era
- Key West’s Role in the Region’s History
- The Tuttle/Flagler Deal and the Entry of the Florida East Coast Railway
- The Roaring ‘20s and the Great Real Estate Boom
- Depression Era Miami and South Florida
- Wartime Miami
- The Cuban Refugee Success Story
- Miami’s Emergence as an International City
- & More!
The class is conducted on Thursday evenings from 5:40pm – 8:00pm. Every other week will be a tour of the city.
If you are interested in enrolling in the last offering of this class, please contact Dr. Paul George directly at (305) 237-3723 or via e-mail at email@example.com.