On June 19, 1918, the front page of the Miami Metropolis featured a story on the growth of membership to the recently opened YMCA in downtown Miami. The recreational center was located at the southwest corner of Avenue A and Eleventh Street near Biscayne Bay. Avenue A was also known as “Short Street” and was renamed to NE Third Avenue in 1920. Eleventh Street was renamed to NE First Street.
Figure 2 is an aerial photograph taken from the McAllister Hotel looking northwest in 1917. At the center bottom part of the picture is a lot that is being prepared for the YMCA building which opened in 1918. Notice how much of downtown Miami consisted of single-family residences in 1917.
Figure 3 is another aerial photograph taken from the McAllister Hotel looking northwest in 1920. On the left-hand side of the photograph (half way down), is the completed YMCA building. Just to the south (down), from the YMCA is the Fairfax Court Apartments and across the street, to the north (up), is a home that was built by William Burdine in 1904. The Burdine family moved out of the home in 1911 after William passed away.Click Here to Subscribe
- Figure 1: Front Page of Miami Metropolis on June 19, 1918.
- Figure 2: Aerial photograph from McAllister Hotel in 1917. Courtesy of Florida Memory.
- Figure 3: Aerial photograph from McAllister Hotel in 1920. Courtesy of Florida Memory.