On April 7th, 1894, the Lemon City Public Library opened. The Lemon City library is the oldest in the Miami-Dade Public Library System. The library collection was built through donations from some very prominent visitors and builders of Miami.
Andrew Carnegie, who had docked his yacht near Lemon City, donated a small collection of volumes. Also, the father of Miami, Henry Flagler, was also very generous in donating to the library. The original building served the library from 1894 to roughly around 1904.Click Here to Subscribe
- Cover Image: Original Lemon City Library in early 1900s. Courtesy of Florida Memory.
- Figure 1: Lemon City Library in 1955. Courtesy of Wikipedia.