On the 50th anniversary of the formation of the Dade Heritage Trust (DHT), the Miami History Podcast welcomes Christine Rupp, director of the organization to discuss the institution’s mission, accomplishments, and future. DHT was founded to provide advocacy for historic preservation around Miami-Dade County. It was organized in 1972 by a group of women who saw the need for a county-wide organization to protect historic buildings and resources throughout the municipality.
Over the course of 50 years, DHT has guided and assisted for a variety of historic preservation projects including the Miami News / Freedom Tower, Wagner House in Lummus Park, Cape Florida Lighthouse, and Miami’s first school building now located in Southside Park, just to name a few. In addition to historic preservation, DHT has partnered with the county to help preserve historic apartment buildings to provide for more workforce housing.
Tune into this week’s podcast episode to hear more about Dade Heritage Trust and its 50-year history. See the additional resources section for more content about Dade Heritage Trust’s office, which was once Dr. James Jackson’s surgical center.Click Here to Subscribe
- Book: “Dr. James M. Jackson – Miami’s Beloved First Doctor”, by Karen Dustman.
- Miami-History Article: “Dr. Jackson’s House & Office Moved from Downtown Miami to Southside”
- Miami-History Article: “Brickell’s Millionaire Row – Homewood”
- Miami-History Article: “Jackson Home & Office Being Moved in 1916”
- Miami-History Article: “Dr. Jackson Home Demolition in 2001”
- Cover: Dade Heritage Trust Office in 2018. Courtesy of Dade Heritage Trust.
- Embedded: Dade Heritage Trust Office in 1977. Courtesy of Dade Heritage Trust.
- Figure 1: Dr. Jackson Surgical Office being moved in August of 1916. Courtesy of Dade Heritage Trust.