This podcast episode features the different Dade County courthouses that were located in the City of Miami from the formation of the county. Dade County was created in 1836 and the county seat resided in Indian Key, along the banks of the Miami River, and in Juno, until a county-wide vote placed it in the City of Miami in 1899.
The first county courthouse in Miami was located in a two-story building on the east side of Avenue D, the future South Miami Avenue, from 1899 until 1904. The first courthouse located on Twelfth Street, the future Flagler Street, opened in 1904 and was expected to accommodate the county’s business for fifty years. However, the growth of the county required a larger courthouse by the mid-1920s. Today’s Dade County courthouse was opened on September 6, 1928, but will soon be replaced by a new structure being constructed just west of the current building.
Tune into this week’s podcast episode to hear more about the Dade County courthouses through the years. Below are additional resources and articles that tell the story of the courthouses located in the City of Miami from 1899 to current times. You can download and listen to this podcast episode on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud, and Spotify.Click Here to Subscribe
- Article: Dade County Courthouses
- Cover: Original Dade County courthouse at 73 Flagler Street, which opened in 1904. Courtesy of Casey Piket.
- Figure 1: Current Dade County courthouse which opened in 1928. Courtesy of Florida State Archives.