On April 9, 1924, the second SW Second Avenue Bridge opened across the Miami River. Originally known as the Avenue G Bridge, it was the first bridge built over the Miami River in 1896. The original bridge provided Flagler’s railroad a crossing over the river.
The 1924 bridge was the replacement for the original bridge. While the original SW Second Avenue Bridge operated on a turning basin, the new bridge opened up in a manner similar to the bridges we see today crossing the Miami River.
The second version of the bridge operated from 1924 until 2003. The 2003 version is the bridge motorists use today to cross SW Second Avenue over the river to access either downtown Miami or the Brickell neighborhood.Click Here to Subscribe
Read more information at “Along the Miami River” by Paul S. George.
- Figure 1: Trolley crossing the SW Second Avenue Bridge in 1926. Courtesy of Florida Memory.
- Figure 2: SW Second Avenue Bridge in mid-1900s. Courtesy of Larry Wiggins.