Once part of Coconut Grove’s Millionaire Row, El Jardin was originally the home of Pittsburgh industrialist John Bindley. The mansion was later used as a corporate retreat for the Cities Services Corporation, later renamed Citgo, and then finally the campus of the Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart beginning in 1961. The residence was designed by a Pittsburgh-based renowned architect Richard Kiehnel, principal of the firm Kiehnel and Elliott.
Tune into this week’s podcast episode to hear more about EL Jardin and the Carrollton School of the Sacred Heart. Below are additional resources and articles that tell the story of El Jardin and its different uses from its construction in 1918 until present day.
Click Here to Subscribe
- Tequesta Magazine: “El Jardin: The Story Behind Miami’s Modern Mediterranean Masterpiece”, Iris Guzman Kolaya, Issue #78 (2018), page 106.
- Historic Preservation Miami: El Jardin.
- Cover: El Jardin in 1920s. Courtesy of HistoryMiami Museum.
- Figure 1: El Jardin pool in 1920s. Courtesy of State of Florida Archives.